Monday, November 20, 2006

The Lowdown: Pizza Next Door in Downtown


With Lamonica’s gone from Downtown and me not being impressed yet with its replacement Los Angeles New York Pizza, I am glad that just about a half a block away is some of the yummiest pizza for miles around, yes, right in Downtown. What am I talking about is Pizza Next Door on 8th right smack between Flower and Figueroa (Fig. for those of us down here).

It’s a small walk-in shop owned and operated by the same guys at Nazo’s Bakery just two doors down. When you go into Pizza Next Door, make sure you get one of the most popular items on the menu, the eggplant pizza. I know, some of you are thinking, eggplant, ugh. I’m the same way, eggplant is not my favorite vegetable, not by a long shot, but this concoction they’ve come up with is absolutely awesome, along with the eggplant it is blessed with fresh tomatoes, garlic, parmesan and mozzarella cheese. Unfortunately, due to the giant blowup of their write-up in the new edition of Hungry? Los Angeles in their window, others are on to the eggplant secret and they're often out (which is why you're looking at a photo of their pepperoni and sausage slice--also good). But if you can wait a few minutes, they'll make the eggplant pie--special for you.

Suffice to say, drop in and get one of their lunch specials, either 2 slices and a drink or a slice, small salad (decent size) and a drink for $5.75 (at the time of this printing). Try and beat that anywhere downtown.

Before I sign off, I want to thank the HungryCity crew for letting me contribute to this blog on some of the great eats I come across. I’m, by trade a bean counter, who loves cheap eats and consequently love Hungry City. Thanks guys and thank YOU Pizza Next Door.
—Cord Nuoffer

New York Pizza Next Door
806 W. 8th St. #B, Los Angeles 90017
(213) 622-6595
Mon-Sat.: 11 am-9 pm

No comments: